Monday, December 05, 2005

broadcasting

has someone explained the origins of the word "broadcasting" to you? I've heard it a few times, mostly in sermons -- farmers would walk, tossing seed side to side from their hands, casting it near and far : broadcasting.

now we mostly associate it with audio - messages & music going out in waves. And, I learned through tallskinnykiwi that "podcast" was awarded the word of the year by the New Oxford English Dictionary. It's good to feel like, "yeah - I did just learn that word this year. I'm normal, I guess!"
BUT - I also liked two runners-up words:
1) lifehack - a more efficient or effective way of completing an everyday task: "I found a great lifehack for getting a cheap hotel room."
2) squick - cause immediate and thorough revulsion: "was anyone else squicked by our waiter's piercings?"
And, I might actually try and even use that last sentence exactly as is!

but, back to the broadcasting/podcasting:
I do agree with tallskinnykiwi that simply getting audio (in a tivo sort of way) really won't prove to be all that revolutionary in the long run. Searching through text or watching unique video podcasts are still more interesting.

but as far as podcasts go, I do still like the guidance of the podfather.

-s.o

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home